Every means of communication what is call languages are mysteries
I am a foreigner in an insulated capsule
I taste. I explore. I take samples to try and break loneliness
I'm learning. Maybe, one day, I will be truely able to write and talk.

dimanche 1 janvier 2012

Globule by Alicia Suskin Ostriker

To be transparent, to contain the world,
To be jellyfish, lucent, mobile, membraned,

Boneless behold me, my mica bits
Expensive steel suspended in my substance,

Afloat in floodwater, swinging shoreward,
Ebbing oceanward, clockless among quick fishes

Striped, sported,
Speckled, stippled

Swishing between braincoral cobbles
Granulated brine, ever in motion.

II

From plate tinted a shell’s hard innerness,
Cerise bleeds, leads chilly dawn.

Sunlight struggles downward through wavelets
Near the sound’s warm surface, visible even

From the cliffs of cottages, it pushes relentlessly
Finding us, feeding us, diatoms, sea-lace,

Anemones, kelp. Breathing in our beds,
Bright sunlight sustains us, formidable father,

We who are oblivious, maybe immortal,
Then softens, slants, abruptly dips. There’s darkness.

Brutally cold, the boom of surf unheard,
Over pocked sand, purely indifference,

Rock ridges ready to razor tenderness
Seawater keeps moving forgetfully.

III

Now on the surface moonlight rests like ice
And the far sky blinks its pointed messages,

Pointless to me, about matter’s beginnings-
Membranous, shapeless, rocking undersea,

Both a thing contained and container of mystery,
Smoothness inside of smoothness, cold in cold,

Wishing only to be as I am, transparent,
Textured fleck afloat in a wet world. 

The Crack in Everything (1996) 
page 170-171
in The Little Space 
by Alicia Suskin OSTRIKER 
isbn 0-8229-5680-2